As I was walking in the door, I seen a man and his son. The father seemed to be rather irritated and was talking to the boy in a way that really bothered me.
We seemed to have been going to the store for the same reason because through my whole trip to the store, all I could hear was this father literally nagging and griping about everything the quiet boy did.
From my perspective, the boy was just looking for a chance and for someone to talk to.
When I got back in my car, all I could think about was how I treat my children and how embarassed I would be if I looked so frazzled and irritated towards my children that I didn't even give them a chance to speak their minds. There have been many, MANY times that I've been running late, in a hurry, or just so tired and worn out that I know I have been this parent so many times.
I was finally able to brush it off and went to church.
And at church, this poem was shared:
Children Learn What They Live
By Dorothy Law Nolte, Ph.D.
If children live with criticism, they learn to condemn.
If children live with hostility, they learn to fight.
If children live with fear, they learn to be apprehensive.
If children live with pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.
If children live with ridicule, they learn to feel shy.
If children live with jealousy, they learn to feel envy.
If children live with shame, they learn to feel guilty.
If children live with encouragement, they learn confidence.
If children live with tolerance, they learn patience.
If children live with praise, they learn appreciation.
If children live with acceptance, they learn to love.
If children live with approval, they learn to like themselves.
If children live with recognition, they learn it is good to have a goal.
If children live with sharing, they learn generosity.
If children live with honesty, they learn truthfulness.
If children live with fairness, they learn justice.
If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect.
If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.
If children live with friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to live.
And once again, my eyes were opened and my attitude changed.
Even though I have been blessed with a husband that amazes me beyond belief and two beautiful little girls, life is still hard. But add a loving God and a new attitude to the mix and life and my perspective will be forever changed.
Because....
I have an amazing family to share life with, to walk with, and to grow with. Who wouldn't want to be given the opportunity to raise something created by God himself? Who wouldn't want to share the joys of everyday life with them? And I was lucky enough to be chosen to do so. I am so lucky...and blessed.
Who wouldn't want to spend the whole day with these two beautiful girls? And to have the freedom to do most anything we please every single day, together, is a treaure that I will truly miss when they grow up.
My newly discovered attitude that covers a new perspective is something that I've been needing for awhile now and I can't wait to begin looking at life in a whole different way.
Xoxo,
Tanna
No comments:
Post a Comment