Saturday, January 30, 2010

Things that make you go.... HMMM.....

Have you ever taken one of those silly personality quizzes that you always find online and to your amazement, they are almost right on?  For my psychology class, we had to take a personality test online and I had that happen to me.  I read  my results and thought, " Wow, it's amazing how they can pinpoint so many things about my personality."  It really made me think of how my personality has been shaped.  My belief is that you really shape your own personality based on your past experiences and past behavior.  Other's believe that it's genetic and shaped by your environment, but I have brothers and sisters who are completely different from me, so I know that's not completely true.  One thing that my test told me ( and I knew all along) was that I am very quiet and reserved.  Now that's not the case in some situations, but I would say most times, I would prefer being in a quiet place,  being able to think to myself and be comfortable.  I began thinking about my past and what kind of experiences have molded me into a quiet, reserved person?   I feel like I may never know what exactly caused me to be like that.  You see, my past, especially when I was really young feels more like it was a dream, and not real.  I have memories where I remember a little bit of it, and even that is very fuzzy, but I also have memories and experiences that I really am not sure when they happened. My childhood was far from perfect, like many other peoples.  But alot of my young childhood, I would rather not remember.  That sounds bad, but it's true.  My life was headed in a bad spot until I was literally yanked from that place.  My wonderful dad, after praying about it for a long time, finally decided to get me out of that bad place.  He literally came to the door, walked in, and threw me over his shoulder and walked out of there.  It was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am who I am today because of my dad and what happened that day.  I remember that day as clearly as yesterday, and looking back, I feel like that is where my memory begins.  There is so much more I could talk about when it comes to my past, etc...; but that would take way too long.    Anyways, what I'm getting at in all of this is... If you knew the exact "thing" that created that personality trait you may not like so well, would you change that?  Would you be willing to sacrifice the person you are today for some small detail about yourself that may not even be that significant?  It's amazing how much thought I put into that and how much I realized that I would not change that for the world.  I may not be as outgoing as others, and not as outspoken, but I know I have a pretty good life , and I realized I am proud of my personality and who I am...  And people who know me would probably say I'm an alright guy.  I feel weird posting this because it's something I've never really talked about, but for some reason, some silly homework assignment turned into something much more valuable.  And I better get an A for my homework.  :)

Hook 'em

Matt.

2 comments:

  1. You're more than an "alright" guy! You're the best husband and father I could ask for and I'm SO proud of you! Love you.

    -Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit here crying after reding that. I've never heard your side of the story. I just remember dad going and getting you....and praying our hearts out while he went and got you. We didn't know how you would be, but we just knew that God wanted you out of it. And TAnna's right, you are more than "alright". You are an amazing guy with a kind of faith that I want more of. God knew what he was doing. I love you, Matt.

    ReplyDelete